On this day 50 years ago, Joe Flannery founded Carlton Brook Management, a concert promotion company. He is considered by many to be the first real booking manager for the Beatles (although Mona Best would probably disagree).
Flannery was the manager of Lee Curtis and The Detours, and he first met the Beatles when The Detours played The Cavern Club and they had a problem with a bass amp. The Beatles (who were performing together with them) kindly lend them their amplifier. Incidentally, Lee Curtis was the stage name of Peter Flannery (Joe's brother).
When Pete Best was sacked by The Beatles, he joined Lee Curtis and the All-Stars.
Joe Flannery was also the driving force behind the project to place commemorative plaques outside famous concerthalls in Wales where The Beatles performed in their early days. The plaques can now be found everywhere around Wales, for example in Prestatyn, Mold, Rhyl etc...
Joe Flannery also claims that the Beatles' hairstyle was based on his mum's hairstyle. Allegedly John Lennon visited Joe at his Aintree flat and saw a picture of Agnes Flannery.
Copyright info for the poster
- It's a low resolution copy of an advertising poster.
- It doesn't limit the copyright owner's rights to sell the poster in any way.
- Because of the low resolution, copies could not be used to make illegal copies of the poster.
- The image is itself a subject of discussion in the article or used in the infobox.
- The image is significant because it was used to promote a performance that has not been well documented.